Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the GIGABYTE P55W v6 is its mobile NVIDIA Pascal based graphics card. The GeForce GTX 1060 mobile graphics card is loaded with 6GB GDDR5 and 1280 cores, making it identical to its desktop counterpart, except for a slightly lower clock speed. The most impressive aspect is its TDP to performance ratio. It should have a TDP around 80W, which is less than the roughly 100W TDP of the GTX 970M that it's replacing. Performance is also on par with the GTX 980M, which has a much higher TDP. I write these reviews after I have tested the product, and some of the tests I ran amazed me at how powerful yet cool the mobile GTX 1060 was.
Paired with a quad-core mobile Intel Skylake processor and an M.2 SSD, the GTX 1060M offers excellent gaming performance, or at least it should on paper. Most of the gaming notebooks I review are bulky and require a special backpack or suitcase to carry around; such is not the case with the P55W v6 from GIGABYTE. The notebook is slimmer than the GTX 980M based gaming notebooks I have reviewed, and it is much lighter. Cooling is also much different, with a single exhaust at the side of the notebook. The P55W v6 packs a lot of mid to high-end specs, so let's see how it does.
Like most notebooks, the P55W v6 comes in many different configurations. Our unit was loaded with 16GB of DDR4, a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD. The system is based on the HM170 chipset, and our unit uses a 15.6" full HD (1920x1080) IPS anti-glare display LCD. The unit does use a GTX 1060 with 6GB of GDDR5, but when the system does not require the power of a fully-fledged discrete GPU, it will switch over to Intel's integrated HD graphics 530. The unit weighs only 2.6KG and is 379.71mm wide, 269.38mm deep, and 26.8-34mm high. It's a relatively decent sized gaming notebook.
CPU-Z screens show all 16GB of DDR4 running in dual-channel mode at 2133MHz. The CPU is running at 3.2GHz on all 4 cores and 8 threads.
HWInfo shows that the memory is from Micron, the IPS panel is from LG Philips, the SSD is a TS256GMTS800, the HDD is an HGST HTS721010A9E630, and there is a DVD-RAM drive. The wired NIC is a Realtek RTL8111, and the WIFI is from an Intel dual-band Wireless-AC 8260. There is also an ASMedia USB 3.1 controller for the USB 3.1 port.
The P55W v6 in our configuration chimes in just below the $1500 mark at $1499.99 on Newegg.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE P55W v6 Gaming Notebook for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE P55W v6 Gaming Notebook retails for $1499 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The GIGABYTE P55W v6 Gaming Notebook retails for £1449 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Physical Overview]
- Page 3 [Physical Overview Continued]
- Page 4 [Software and BIOS]
- Page 5 [System Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO and Battery Performance]
- Page 8 [Thermal Performance]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced