Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing
Fractal Design is a company we are all too familiar with in regards to cases, but what about power supplies? Well, Fractal has been in power supplies for quite some time as well. Even if they are not as familiar as some of the more common names such as Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, and Thermaltake. This does not mean they are inadequate supplies; it just was not a significant focus as far as their overall business.
The ION+ series, which is what we are looking at today, is the next step in Fractals PSU series. From the looks of it, they are taking PSUs quite seriously. They have a new design ID and an overall clean aesthetic. This is a custom designed unit from Fractal Design and OEM High Power.
The model we have today is the ION+ 860P, which is a platinum-rated unit and is standard ATX size with a 140mm case length. The 150mm length is right in between the pretty standard 160mm and the 140mm units that Silverstone has been showing off. This, of course, means this will give more room for tucking excess cable in front of the supply. Having the extra 10mm compared to a unit that is 160mm + which is the reasonably standard size these days.
Some of the key marketing features from Fractal are:
- Fractal Design UltraFlex DC wires have game-changing flexibility for effortless cable routing and connectors that twist and bend to fit your installation
- Custom-tailored Dynamic Series 140 mm fan with exceptionally low minimum speed and true long-life FDB bearing
- 80 PLUS Platinum Efficiency for optimized electrical performance and reduced heat generation
- User-selectable Zero RPM mode allows for either silent, passive operation in low load situations or continuous low-speed fan operation for additional cooling
- Outstanding output quality with tight voltage regulation and extremely low noise and ripple
- Fully modular design for reduced clutter and maximum ease of installation
- Premium Japanese 105Â°C capacitors provide enhanced reliability and durability
- Compact 150 mm depth easily fits compact spaces, allowing extra headroom for cable management
- Full electrical protection suite includes Over Power Protection, Over Voltage Protection, Short Circuit Protection,
- Under Voltage Protection, Over Current Protection and Over Temperature Protection
- Extra-long 600 mm 24-pin ATX cable and 700 mm 4+4 pin cable
- Extensive ten-year warranty
The pricing per Fractal's launch documentation are as follows:
- ION+ 560P : $99.99
- ION+ 660P : $109.99
- ION+ 760P : $119.99
- ION+ 860P : $129.99
The unit we have today is at the top of that spectrum and when checking online at current pricing. When I first entered 800 - 899 Watt I noticed there were many supplies quite a bit above the ION+. But many of them were lower efficiency ratings, and when I dialed in the search to Platinum and above units, the picture became very clear. The ION+ if it stays at its current pricing as quoted, would be the lowest price in the category for Platinum-based PSUs.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google DeepMind co-founder OUT over 'controversy' over his AI projects
- Valve teams with Perfect World for 'Steam China' for Chinese gamers
- AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su says CrossFire is 'not a significant focus'
- Yes, the V-shaped PlayStation 5 dev kit is real says game developer
- Cyberpunk 2077's multiplayer won't be forced into the game
- Team Group T-Force Cardea Liquid M.2 SSD Review
- Synology DS620slim Six-Bay SFF NAS Review
- LaCie Rugged RAID Shuttle Review
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- FSP Unveils FlexGURU 250W and 300W Modular Power Supplies New PSUs are perfect for IPC, NAS, HTPC and edge computing
- Gameforge Opens Pre-Orders and Announces November Release for the Highly Anticipated Kingdom Under Fire 2
- Philips Brings Precision Computer Peripherals to US
- KORN Battle Concert is Now Live in AdventureQuest 3D!
- NEC: Industrial Internet Consortium Approves Testbed of Negotiation Automation Platform for coordinating interests among AI systems