Intel's high-end desktop processors are getting an upgrade today as Intel launches the 9980XE and we assume other 9th generation X-series processors. Lower-end SKUs in the X-series family are getting PCI-E lane bumps, as well as solder thermal interface material and frequency bumps.
These improvements are pretty much what people wanted in the original X-series of CPUs, which were 7th generation processors. The funny part of all this is that the stepping and family are the same between the 7th and 9th generation X-series CPUs, at least when it comes to the 9980XE. Let's see what the 9980XE has to offer over the powerful 7980XE.
The i9-9980XE has the same 18 cores and 36 threads and the same cache size and TDP (165W) as the 7980XE. However, we find a 400MHz base frequency bump (now 3GHz), a 200MHz Turbo Boost 2.0 bump (now 4.4GHz), and a 100MHz Turbo Boost Max 3.0 bump (now 4.5GHz).
The new CPU uses solder based thermal interface material, so that's partially how Intel is reaching those frequency increases. There is one interesting difference; Intel has reduced Tjmax from 94C to 84C for the 9980XE.
The Core i9-9900K is priced at $1979.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced