Along with their turnkey Linkstation 200 and 500 series, Buffalo offers a modest range of business storage platforms. These offerings carry the Terastation branding and include the 3010 and 5010 series of which we have reviewed in the past. The latest solution from Buffalo however, strays away from the typical Linux in favor of Windows Storage Server 2016.
It has been quite some time since we last reviewed a Windows Storage Server platform and even then, it was the last iteration from Buffalo. The current model takes on the enclosure design from the Linux models 3010 and 5010 with a slight hardware change from Annapurna labs to Intel Atom. The full lineup keeps with the turnkey design offering several SKUs including two and four bay models with varying capacity options. The unit sent over for review is the two-bay 2x2TB solution or WS5222.
For hardware we have an Intel Atom C3338 processor operating at 1.5GHz boost to 2.2GHz, it is a two core two thread model with 4M of cache, Buffalo has paired it with 8GB of DDR4. Connectivity includes two SATA ports, two USB 3.0 and two-gigabit ethernet ports. In addition, this model offers a single 10Gbe port, from which we did all of today's testing.
Client compatibility includes Windows Server 08 through 16, Windows 7 through 10 and macOS 10.11 and later. Software options include NAS Navigator2 for setup and NovaBackup.
MSRP of the two-bay WS5220 comes in at $949.99 with a three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Buffalo Terastation WS5220 Network Storage retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Buffalo Terastation WS5220 Network Storage retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 2K Games is making ANOTHER multiplayer game
- FSP intro new SFX DAGGER PRO 650W and 550W PSUs
- Mario Maker 2 turns the Switch into a 3DS
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Quarantine beta sign-ups available
- Gearbox announce Penn & Teller troll VR game F.U.U.U & U
- Aerocool Cylon Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- track pad stops responding
- Kensington SD2000p Nano USB-C Dock Review
- Phison PS5016-E16 PCIe 4.0 SSD First Look Preview
- Update Intel RAID ROM - How to do it?
- Minecraft notes a transcultural success in China with over 1.36 billion mod downloads
- Gearbox Raises The Curtain on Penn and Teller VR: Frankly Unfair, Unkind, Unnecessary & Underhanded, Launching June 27
- Turn-based RPG Fort Triumph receives major update, final version to come in Q1 2020 to PC and consoles
- Taiwan International Balloon Festival lifts off from Luye Highlands on June 29
- Save the Multiverse Today With the Xbox One Release of Double Cross